The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Wednesday 1 April 2015

The shoe thief

I was born in 1958 in central Birmingham in what everyone referred to as "the yard".  It was typical inner city row housing of the time, built round a central yard with loos down the garden.  The advantage of being built in a yard (according to mom) was that the kids could all play outside with just one "goalkeeper" at the entrance to the yard looking out for them.  As far as I remember this was often a lady called Ruby, a lady who terrified me because she had crossed eyes.  (I was just 3 when we left the yard so I guess everything and everyone a bit "different" was terrifying).  In any case, none of the kids ever got past Ruby.

For some time Dad was working nights and trying to get some sleep during the day.  Problem was, there was a dog that kept on barking and barking and he couldn't get any sleep.  Dad was a gentle man but I guess this one day he really had had enough so he ran outside and aimed a kick at the barking dog.  Missed of course (probably intentionally), but his shoe flew off, at which point said dog picked up the shoe and ran off with it - with Dad having to chase him up the road to get his shoe back - and all the kids in "the yard" having a great old laugh at his expense!  Happy times.

 
 
Dad and Judy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment