The view from my window

The view from my window
The view from my window

Monday 21 August 2017

More this and that

Not at lot has been going on round here lately. The traffic is starting to pick up as families are heading back home after their holidays and preparing for the new school year. Oh how I used to hate it in England when school would finish towards the end of July and before you knew it the bloody shops would start pushing their "back-to-school" supplies. It seems like we had only just gotten out of school and here we were heading back already! Of course compared to the 10-12 weeks summer break the kids have round here (as compared to - what - 6-7 in England) - we really were almost heading straight back! Later, as a working parent, I came to appreciate how difficult it is to keep the kids occupied during those long school breaks, but at the time it sure didn't seem fair to me!

So what's new? Oh yes I got a call from my youngest son's gf the other night asking if I wanted to come over on Saturday night for dinner to celebrate my oldest son's 30th birthday (you know, the one who just got married). Actually his birthday is on 30 August but both couples seem to be pretty booked up at the weekends so this was one of the few times we were all available. It was a lovely, simple evening and I thoroughly enjoyed it. After we ate, Jen got out a board game called "Cranium" - a new one to me - but actually quite fun. Because three of us (my sons and I) had grown up with a more anglophone culture, we skipped over some of the more difficult French-based questions, but found plenty to keep us going. For instance, I had to get my team mates to say "Mr. Bean" by miming him (got it in one!!!) and another time I had to mime "work interview". I didn't mind this stuff at all, but, for example, the "tooth fairy" in English becomes the "little mouse" in French so we had a few crossed wires mixed in with the giggles. There was also one card where I was blind-folded and I had to get them to say "Mont Blanc" by drawing it. Guess what, I managed it! I drew round my finger on the paper so I knew where I had drawn Lake Geneva (in order to put the Mont Blanc further south) but when I took my blindfold off I have to admit Lake Geneva looked more like a penis (but luckily no-one came up with that one)!

I think I mentioned previously that a few of us are going to host a monthly board game evening and with that in mind I had already bought a few fun games. I bought a new game called "Pie Face" where basically the loser gets "tarted" with whipped cream! I had to nag my sons into playing and I so wish I could figure out how to put the video on here as the video of the two of them playing and roaring laughing when the eldest got hit in the face with the cream was great. Something else to figure out I suppose. But it was great fun - oh and I got "tarted" too, by the way!

André knows already that Jordan is too good for him!
André's response to getting "tarted" - hey, I like this game (slurp, slurp)!

On the Sunday, I had spotted a vide-grenier taking place at a place called Thorens-Glières. It had been ages since I had been up there so a friend and I took a trip out there. For once I didn't buy anything (except a huge hamburger) but she did quite well with a lovely bag, bracelet and tiny, leather slippers for her great nephew. Very pretty.
 
Thorens
During the second World War, there was a huge battle between the occupying Germans and the French resistance on top of the Plâteau de Glières, so I think I might take a run up there next weekend to re-visit the museum, time and weather permitting, of course.

On the way back, my friend asked if I would stop at the little church called La Benite Fontaine (the Blessed Fountain) so she could fill up a couple of water bottles of spring water/holy water. I don't know that it is really holy water, but it is certainly untreated mountain spring water and she, very touchingly, wanted to get some water for her beloved labrador who, we suspect, is on his last legs. She knows the time is coming but thought a little "help from God" wouldn't do him any harm either would it.

A little shrine at La Benite

One elderly lady was there filling up about 10 bottles with the water and I asked her if it was good - she said "well it's natural spring water and I'm not doing so badly on it am I" as she trudged back up the hillside with her two carrier bags full of bottled water.

"Thank you" plaques addressed to the Virgin Mary

At the spring
It's actually a lovely spot to picnic too!
Church of La Benite Fontaine
France is a Catholic country and I'm not Catholic - but you can't beat a beautiful church in my opinion!


8 comments:

  1. A beautiful church defies denominations!
    Glad you had fun with the game night, looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could figure out how to put the video up of the kids playing Pie Face - it has hilarious and yes most churches are beautiful aren't they.

      Delete
  2. You live in such a beautiful area! I always love seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first came to Geneva it was like I had died and gone to heaven it was so pretty. And then when we moved into France we were always exploring. Then suddenly the kids didn't want to come with us any more and the exploring just kind of petered out, so now I am determined to start getting out and about again - I'm sure I've missed so much - like everyone really - do you ever fully explore? But yes, it is beautiful.

      Delete
  3. Yes, such beautiful photos - allows me and others to see life from a different perspective. The 'back to school' adverts in shops have been ongoing since the schools broke up! For a few weeks now a number of shops have had Christmas things on display - preparing to see Easter Eggs any day now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief - Christmas stuff!!! That is insane. My ex-husband is American and I lived there for a while, so immediately after 4th of July, we got the summer stuff, followed by Halloween stuff (which I loved, to be honest) followed by Thanksgiving stuff followed by .... you get the gist. I think it ruins it, just constantly pushing merchandise, although of course I realize that kids do need stuff for school. I even stay away from the shops when the sales are on .... can't bear it.

      Delete
  4. Anna, I'm loving those photos of the holy spring. I hope your friend's Labrador benefited:)
    Just popping in to say that Lucinda tried to leave a comment on this post, but couldn't, so she left it on my blog instead! Pop over to read it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I've no idea why Lucinda couldn't leave a comment but I have had problems at work - even if I am logged in I can't leave comments on people's blogs (maybe that's 'cos I should be working - tee hee). I will pop over to your blog and reply though. Love your blog BTW. A

      Delete